The Governing Board of Zoo Authority of Tamilnadu has been reconstituted on 06-03-2013 to administer the zoological parks more efficiently in G.O.(Ms) No. 23 Environment and Forests (FR5) DepartmentIn order to facilitate supervision, control, maintenance and management of Arignar Anna Zoological Park, Vandalur and Children's Park, Guindy, the Government of Tamilnadu had constituted Zoo Authority of Tamilnadu in 2004 and it is registered under Tamil Nadu Societies Registration Act, 1975. The Zoo Authority of Tamilnadu is functioning under the guidance of the Governing Board. The revenue generated from the entry fees and other revenue is deposited in the account of Zoo Authority of Tamilnadu. The annual budget of Arignar Anna Zoological Park and Children's Park, Guindy is approved by the Governing Board for development and maintenance works of the parks. The Governing Board consists of -
|1||Hon’ble Chief Minister of Tamilnadu||Chairperson|
|2||Hon’ble Minister for Forest||Vice-Chairperson|
|3||The Chief Secretary to Government||Member|
|4||Principal Secretary to Government, Environment and Forests Department||Member|
|5||Principal Secretary to Government, Finance Department||Member|
|6||Principal Secretary to Government, Animal Husbandry Department||Member|
|7||The Principal Chief Conservator of Forests, Tamilnadu||Member|
|8||The Principal Chief Conservator of Forests and Chief Wildlife Warden, Tamil Nadu||Member|
|9||Director, Department of Environment||Member|
|10||Commissioner, Tourism Department||Member|
|11||Vice-Chancellor, Tamil Nadu Veterinary and Animal Sciences University, Chennai||Member|
|12||The Director, Arignar Anna Zoological Park||Member Secretary|
The Government have also issued orders to include all recognized zoos in Tamilnadu controlled by Forest Department which includes,
1. Kurumbapatti Zoological Park – Salem
2. Amirdhi Zoo – Vellore
3. Trichy Zoo – Thiruchirapalli
Objectives of ZAT:
1. To develop and maintain the Arignar Anna Zoological Park and Children’s Park, Guindy in a self-sustaining manner by receiving and utilizing the funds from Central and State Government etc., for the development of the zoo.
2. To create understanding and awareness about the rich faunal diversity through zoo education and interpretation programme.
3. To undertake research on various aspect of the wild animals including captive breeding of species.
4. To procure such animals as required for the enrichment of the zoo by purchase or exchange from other states in India or from abroad.
The Zoo Authority of Tamil Nadu will be the apex technical advisory body for the other zoos in Tamil Nadu and will also help in the animal collection and exchange programmes of the zoos. The Zoo Authority of Tamilnadu administered by the Governing Board meets at least once in a year. The Governing Board shall have all powers and perform all such functions as are necessary for achievement and furtherance of objectives of the society. The Governing Board shall also approve details of plan and proposals for the development of the zoological parks. The Governing Board may also delegate rights, powers and duties as are considered necessary to the Member Secretary.